Thursday, February 09, 2006

I Don't Love U2

Can I say that? It's the day after the Grammys, and I just have to say I think the voters are getting a little lazy. U2? Are they really still that relevant? Sure...they sell out arenas all over the world, but so do the Rolling Stones, and I don't see them cleaning up at the Grammys. Do we really have to give them a Grammy everytime they come out with an album? Is the NARAS just too afraid to tell them that they will never be as good as The Joshua Tree again?

I guess it's been on my mind for a while. They are just one of those bands I never got in to. We even had a two part Sunday School class on "The Spirituality of U2", and I really tried to take it seriously. It just seemed like a weak attempt at getting apathetic young adults to church that day.

I guess I can't get too upset, in the grand scheme of things, U2 (a rock band with actual instruments) winning alot of Grammys is far better than if Gwen Stefani won for Hollaback Gurl. You're right, you ain't no Hollaback Gurl...because you're married, in your mid-30's, pregnant, and white. You can only be 2 of those 4 things and still maintain your hollaback-ness.
Luckily for her, the Academy had the unbelievably bad idea of coming up with the new category of Best Rap/Sung Collaboration. This will not only keep Nelly and Ludacris working, but basically give Gwen and Linkin Park a chance at some hardware everytime they release an album.

I can honestly say I've only been relatively satisfied with the outcome of this award ceremony twice in my entire life...in 2003 when the soundtrack for O Brother, Where Art Thou? won Album of the Year, and in 2004 when Coldplay's Clocks won Record of the Year (or maybe Song? What's the difference?), and Outkast's Speakerboxx/The Love Below won Album...although I felt like Stankonia and Aquemini were better. So sad that it's pissed me off every other year...

On the bright side, John Legend's Ordinary People got plenty of love. I'm not an R&B fan, but if the genre made more songs like that, I would be. Poor John, though, he won Best New Artist, and that's pretty much a death nell for your career.
I guess I'm preaching to the choir with most of you. We all pretty much know that the best albums are never nominated for these awards, and may only have a snowball's chance at winning in their particular genre. Which means my only moment of joy can come when The White Stripes or Allison Krauss win (take that, New Country). I love music, and these people supposedly do too, but I really wonder sometimes.

No comments: